Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Flaming Lips

The show was great. As I left the show I wasn't overly excited. I was expecting the energy level to be high, but I found the mood to be slightly somber. As I reflect on the show I realize that the songs and performances were powerful in a different way. The emotional songs are sticking with me. They did a great job capturing the uncertainty and troubles we are collectively in at the moment. Acknowledging the confusion and pain while asking everyone to help support each other. It was refreshing to see a band perform with honest emotions rather than the usual overly enthusiastic act that has become the standard at a rock show. The more I think about it, the more I appreciate the experience. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a downer--we had a lot of fun. A few highlights: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 2 (a crazy instrumental with 20,000 glow sticks flying like a food fight), and My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion (a beautiful sing-a-long). They closed the show with a cover of "War Pigs" with images of Bush, Rumsfeld, etc, and bombs. I think they meant to send a message that wasn't altogether pretty. They were shooting a DVD so you might get to see the show as well. Until then, here is a clip from the show. (Please excuse the quality--I'll do better next time--this was just made with my portable camera).


2 Comments:

At 2:05 AM, Blogger Claim E. Claimer said...

Wonderful review of the show... check out my perspective at

http://totallyclaimin.blogspot.com/

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Dirk Awesome said...

It seems majestic. Yep - "majestic."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home