Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Fishbone is Red Hot

In the past few weeks we went for a great hike in the Malibu canyons with Robert and Stephanie. We hiked through some thick brush up a river bed to a waterfall. There are some photos on The Barrington Blog.

I had a streak of luck this weekend. Robert, Phil, and I entered a limit hold 'em tournament and I managed to make 5th place of 77 which paid quite well. A few things I learned about poker tournaments: 1) people get mad when you beat them 2) most 70 year old women are extraordinary poker players 3) some people are mean 4) some people are nice 5) you really do have to know when to hold them and when to fold them 4) it helps to be able to count and 6) I think a straight beats two pair.

The tournament was at Hollywood Park in Inglewood. I decided to go the night before to check out the horse racing in part because I wanted to see the place, but also because the price of admission included a Fishbone concert after the racing.

I don't know if I can explain just how exciting Fishbone was. They brought such an amazing and positive energy--and when I say energy I mean intense energy, the kind usually reserved for rants and aggression. I think positive aggression best describes Fishbone. I was filled with genuine excitement and a renewed energy to fight for peace. Fishbone is red hot. I am glad I didn't find a ticket for the sold out radiohead show that night. I would have been amazed and depressed; instead I was awakened and inspired.

I got to chat with Dirk today--it has been far too long. I am happy for him. We talked about a musical project involving large prime numbers--who doesn't love the sound of large prime numbers?

2 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Dirk Awesome said...

I have two comments:

1. I like the goatee.
1. I like number four in your list of poker observations.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Fabulously Green said...

Hey Chris!

You didn't tell me you were blogging now you devil you! Like it! And you know I'm still green with envy over the Fishbone concert...


Steph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home